Saturday, August 27, 2016

Weekly MCU Review for 8/27



Another week, and more MCU news!  Not a ton of stuff, but there are a few movie-related things this week.  Put some ketchup on your eggs, and catch-up on your Marvel news!


Mostly MCU Reviews

My articles from the week

Unfortunately, I didn’t get my Avengers: Age of Ultron Retro-Review out this week, and I won’t publish it this week, either.  Instead, I’m going to review Avengers Confidential: Black Widow and Punisher, a direct-to-DVD animated movie which is on Netflix until September 1.

That’s not to say I didn’t publish anything this week.  First up last Saturday, was this quick article on a possible character in Spider-Man: Homecoming.  Do you want to see this character in the movie?

Next:  a look at The Runaways now that they are coming to Hulu.

Finally, part 1 looking at possible Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spinoffs that could be set up this year.

MCU News

Links to news articles and blog posts about the MCU

What would Captain America 3 have looked like without RDJ?  Zombies.  Sort of.  More like civilians driven mad that Cap has to fight.  Not a bad moral conundrum to put Captain America into, but I’m definitely glad they went with Civil War instead!

So according to Joe Russo, Steve Rogers isn’t Captain America anymore.  No kidding (though it is nice to see them confirm what I said!).  Who do you think will be the new Captain America for Infinity War?  My guess is John Walker, and that he could be namedropped in a movie before Infinity War (with Spider-Man: Homecoming as the most logical option.

There is a rumor that Brother Voodoo may suit up for a cameo appearance in Doctor Strange.  I mentioned him as a possible magic user a while back, so I definitely think this is a possibility.  Do you want to see Brother Voodoo?

So apparently casting Kurt Russell as Ego the Living Planet (a.k.a. Star Lord’s mother’s baby daddy) was actually suggested by Chris Pratt.

Do you want to see the X-Men in Avengers: Infinity War?  Joe Russo is saying that there aren’t any talks currently to his knowledge.  Personally, I think including the X-Men would ask way too many questions for an already-packed Avengers sequel.

So I guess this split between Marvel TV and Marvel Studios is starting to adversely affect things.  Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad, The Jungle Book) apparently turned down a Marvel TV role in hopes of getting a role in one of the movies because he realized that he couldn’t play the same character for both.

News from Around Geekdom

Anything not related to the MCU that I find interesting

There’s a little more movement happening with the New Mutants movie.  Among other things, it will include aliens (at the very least the alien Warlock is one of the announced characters), putting FOX one step closer to all those amazing cosmic X-Men stories.

So Gambit still hasn’t managed to get out of Development Hell™.  Now it has lost its director.  Again.  Is this thing ever going to get made?

According to Bryan Singer, Legion will be part of the X-Men movie universe timeline and “relate to future X-Men movies.”  What does this mean for the movies and show?

Would you like to see the Rogues (a group of Flash villains teaming up) as the villains for the Flash movie?  I think it would make sense, though it depends on just how far into his crime-fighting career Barry Allen is.  I mean, in order to justify a villain team-up, the hero should already have beaten them pretty handily a couple times.

Have you seen the hype for this Guardians movie?  It’s a Russian movie about a Soviet superhero team (picking up from the U.S.-driven superhero movie hype, I assume) which is not—to my knowledge—based on anything.  However, on first seeing it my first thought was Marvel’s Winter Guard, a post-Soviet Russian superhero team within the Marvel Universe.  The members include, among others, Ursa Major, a mutant with the ability to transform into a grizzly bear.  And that makes me wonder if Marvel and Disney have considered outsourcing to international studios to produce MCU films based on properties set in other countries.  Do you want to see Guardians if it gets a U.S. release?  I kind of do.

If you want to get an email whenever I publish a new article, go to the top of the page and enter your email address in the box labeled “Subscribe to Mostly MCU Reviews” and click “Submit.”

No comments:

Post a Comment