Saturday, April 11, 2015

Daredevil Full Season One NON-SPOILER Review

Image Courtesy www.comicbook.com
I just finished watching Daredevil Season 1 tonight, and had to share my thoughts on the series.  I'm going to write individual episode recaps each week for the next 3 months or so (until I'm through the season), but here's my non-spoiler review:

This show is AWESOME!  If you don't have Netflix yet, then you need to sign up for the free month just to watch Daredevil.  If you do have Netflix and haven't watched it yet, then what are you doing reading reviews?  Go watch it already!

One word of caution:  Daredevil is not for the faint of heart.  It has a rating of TV-MA (the show runners said they were going for something along the lines of PG-16), and it really does earn its rating.  There is no sexual content (the most they show is a couple of women taking of their shirts, and we only see their backs).  However, there is a lot of cursing.  Blood... I'm pretty sure they spent more on fake blood than anything else!  There are some extremely graphic scenes, though most of the time they don't show more than blood dripping from wounds and the like.  If you don't like a lot of violence, I would use extreme caution in watching this show.

I love all the character relationships they develop through this season, especially between Matt and Foggy.  Wilson Fisk is probably the most well-developed villain in the MCU, perhaps even more so than Loki.  However, my favorite aspect of the entire show is how well they show the two sides of Matt Murdock:  He is a "superhuman" gifted with incredibly well-honed senses (vision aside), but at the same time he is only human.  The human aspect of him always manages to show through in what he does.

There really weren't a lot of negatives in the season.  Everything resolves satisfactorily, but at the same time there is enormous potential for a second season (and for The Defenders to explore).




Long story short, this is an awesome series, and I can't wait until Marvel expands this universe and gives us the next chapter in Hell's Kitchen with A.K.A. Jessica Jones sometime this fall.

2 comments:

  1. Chris, I'm on episode 12 and 13 tonight to finish and I have a complaint about the show. From what I remember about DD, this series seems to be playing down his powers a great deal. There is no jumping from rooftops, no radar sense (the silly seeing fire grates on me because that is not canonical). I can't remember DD ever getting trashed the way he's been. The ninja dude had him good if not for the freak accident that set him afire. What gives?
    Stan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question. I think I'll use that as the topic for my first article leading up to Age of Ultron. Check back for that on Thursday!

      One initial thought: this isn't the first time powers have been toned down.

      Delete