|Image Courtesy en.wikipedia.org|
The six (short) episodes of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Slingshot become available on abc.com and the ABC app today! This is Marvel Studios/Marvel TV’s first foray into the wide world of digital media. What do we expect from this series?
Where does it fall in the timeline?
According to the synopsis, this miniseries takes place between Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. seasons 3 and 4.
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Slingshot takes place shortly before the beginning of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 4. The digital series features Elena "Yo-Yo" Rodriguez, an Inhuman with the ability to move at super-speed. As a person with powers, she must sign the Sokovia Accords. However, the restrictions of the Accords are in direct conflict with a personal mission she's desperate to fulfill, one that will test her abilities and will include tense encounters with S.H.I.E.L.D. team members.
Continuing plot points:
- Coulson is not Director anymore; he and Mack have a “buddy cop” routine going
- Who is the new Director as a person? Where do his loyalties lie? Is he a puppet (with Coulson more or less in control behind-the-scenes, as with him and Talbot last season)? Is he another Nick Fury? Is he working for someone else?
- Daisy off on her own; the team is trying to bring her in
- The aftermath of the Sokovia Accords/Superhuman Civil War
What I am looking for in this series:
- We will find out a whole lot more about Elena/Yo-Yo as a person. Her limited screen time to-date has left her character rather ambiguous.
- I expect at least a couple of fun “speed shots,” though they haven’t indicated yet how much of a budget this series has for special effects
- I expect that we will see how Elena starts helping Daisy while she’s on the run
- Considering that the midseason finale included a kiss between Elena and Mack—and considering that they were pretty antagonistic throughout the first half of the season—I expect to see how their relationship got to that point
- This series will explore how the Sokovia Accords apply to Inhumans, and perhaps the ramifications of the Sokovia Accords for Inhumans
What would be awesome but probably won’t happen:
Maybe a special guest appearance from another member of the comic book Secret Warriors to set up their appearance in the second half of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 4?
So what are you looking for in tonight’s episode? What is there that you really want to see but may not see at all?
If you want to get an email whenever I publish a new article, go to the top of the page and enter your email address in the box labeled “Subscribe to Mostly MCU Reviews” and click “Submit.”