|Image Courtesy www.thewrap.com|
Spider-Man: Homecoming is making its much-hyped United States premiere today! What do we expect from this movie?
What happened previously in the MCU?
So this time around I didn’t write a TL;DW recap of the MCU up to this point. However, if you are curious, go check out my Captain America: Civil War one here. Then if you’re looking for a movie recommendation before watching Spider-Man: Homecoming, watch Iron Man 2 (where Peter Parker makes his MCU debut, surprisingly enough) and Captain America: Civil War (where Spider-Man makes his MCU debut). That should do it for you.
The short answer to this question is that most of the Avengers are in hiding after the Sokovia Accords, Banner and Thor are gone, and Iron Man is the one doing just about all the heavy lifting as far as keeping the world safe. Spider-Man has, presumably, registered under the Sokovia Accords, but I don’t know how much of a role they will play in this movie. For now, Peter Parker is going to high school and working as Spider-Man on the side.
High-school superhero Peter Parker aspires to join the Avengers in his guise as Spider-Man, but teenage woes and Tony Stark's contradictory mentorship only complicate his ambitions.
Continuing plot points:
- The fallout of Civil War—what’s up with the Avengers?
- How does Spider-Man fit into the larger world?
- I’m guessing the impending Infinity War isn’t going to be mentioned or tied in at all, but it’s coming up in just a year
- Will the increasing number of enhanced individuals (Inhumans) be addressed at all?
- The next three movies are Inhumans, Thor: Ragnarok, and Black Panther, and I doubt any of them will get tied in to Spider-Man: Homecoming
What I am looking for in this movie:
- A good exploration of who Peter Parker is as both a person and a hero
- Interesting and developed villains, particularly with Birdman—I mean Batman—I mean Vulture. Yeah, that’s the one!
- Tony Stark will be a mentor to Peter, but Peter will be the focus of the movie
- This will involve some follow-up of loose ends from Iron Man 3, Avengers: Age of Ultron, and Captain America: Civil War, particularly with regard to Pepper
- Peter’s new suit is obviously not the only one getting used in the movie. I expect no less than three: the Stark suit, the original suit, and an improved suit at the end of the movie.
- Peter being in high school will drive a lot of the movie
What would be awesome but probably won’t happen:
Doctor Strange makes a surprise cameo in the third act. That or a little half-black/half-Latino kid appears in a scene or two showing that Miles Morales really is in the MCU and will become Spider-Man’s understudy/sidekick/successor in a future movie.
So what are you looking for in Spider-Man: Homecoming? What is there that you really want to see but may not see at all?
If you want to get an email whenever I publish a new article, go to the top of the page and enter your email address in the box labeled “Subscribe to Mostly MCU Reviews” and click “Submit.”