|Image Courtesy www.screenrant.com|
Agent Carter returns tonight with “Better Angels” (2x03) at 9:00 PM Eastern/Pacific. What do we expect from tonight's episode?
What happened in the last episodes, “The Lady in the Lake” and “A View in the Dark”?
Peggy and the SSR caught Dottie robbing a bank to steal a brooch with a symbol on it (a letter “A” inside a circle, which looks similar to one of the Ancient Hydra symbols). Before Peggy could break Dottie in interrogation, however, Thompson sent her out to Los Angeles to assist Sousa with an unusual case involving a frozen body which emanates cold (which is not scientifically accurate; the way Wilkes described it is more accurate: it absorbs all the energy around it, causing the freezing effect). Peggy meets up with Jarvis, who introduces her to his wife, Ana, and an evil flamingo named Bernard.
The frozen body leads them to Isodyne Energy, a conglomerate which is revealed to have discovered a substance called “Zero Matter” which appeared as a byproduct of a nuclear test gone horribly wrong. Isodyne’s CEO, Calvin Chadwick, is discovered to have been having an affair with the dead woman, whom he may or may not have killed. Peggy’s informant, Dr. Jason Wilkes, reveals that Isodyne is in the process of covering Zero Matter up (for the shadowy Council of Nine, of which Chadwick is a member, though they don’t know that). Peggy and Wilkes try to steal the Zero Matter, but Wilkes and Whitney Frost (Chadwick’s actress wife and the brains of the operation) fight, causing the Zero Matter to explode, seemingly killing Wilkes and leaving Frost with something like PTSD.
Episode Synopsis for “Better Angels”:
“Peggy’s search for the truth about Zero Matter puts her on a collision course with her superiors as Howard Stark barnstorms in.”
Continuing plot points:
- Dottie the proto-Black Widow loose in America
- Whitney Frost as a different kind of foil for Peggy
- Corruption in Hollywood—the Council of Nine (are they connected to Ancient Hydra?)
- Darkforce/Zero Matter—a potential minor tie-in with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Doctor Strange
What I am looking for tonight:
- Wilkes will somehow have survived the Zero Matter explosion
- Frost’s forehead cut will lead to her toying with the idea of wearing a mask (she is Madame Masque, after all)
- Dominic Cooper will steal the show
- Sousa will be conflicted between his new love, Violet, and his old love, Peggy (try not to read that in an over-dramatic voice, I dare you!)
- Thompson will try to cover up what’s happening in L.A. to gain favor with his benefactor, Vernon Masters
- Frost and Peggy will have their first confrontation
What would be awesome but probably won’t happen:
Wilkes absorbs the Zero Matter and learns to control and manipulate it. By the end of the season he develops a blue-and-gold costume which completely hides his skin color and uses it and his Zero Matter powers to become the MCU version of Adam Brashear, a.k.a. the Blue Marvel. This would make Peggy the MCU version of Candace, Brashear’s S.H.I.E.L.D. agent wife. That would be a lot of fun and fit in pretty well with the racial equality undertones of the season.
So what are you looking for in tonight’s episode? What is there that you really want to see but may not see at all?
If you want to get an email whenever I publish a new article, go to the top of the page and enter your email address in the box labeled “Subscribe to Mostly MCU Reviews” and click “Submit.”