|Image Courtesy en.wikipedia.org|
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. continues tonight with “Let Me Stand Next to Your Fire” (4x04) at 10:00 PM Eastern/Pacific. What do we expect from tonight's episode?
What happened in the last episode, “Uprising”?
The Watchdogs set off EMPs in cities around the world where S.H.I.E.L.D. had relocated Inhumans, blaming the EMPs on the “Inhuman Resistance” and taking advantage of the confusion to murder 17 Inhumans. Conveniently, they had received the Inhuman Registration List created by the Sokovia Accords from an inside source, presumably anti-Inhuman Senator Rota Nadeer, who made her first appearance in this episode. Mack, Coulson, and Fitz (joined by Yo-Yo) have to resolve the EMP problem and restore power before the governments of the world turn on the Inhumans. Following the restoration of power Director Jeffrey Mace officially brings S.H.I.E.L.D. out of the shadows and sets the record straight about the blackouts.
Meanwhile, Daisy and Robbie have to deal with muggers and looters taking advantage of the blackout in San Francisco, which prevents them from going to see Robbie’s uncle, Eli Morrow, who is in prison for murder.
Finally, May’s whole “touched by a ghost” thing got resolved when Simmons and Radcliffe killed her to reset her brain and then restarted her heart.
Episode Synopsis for “Let Me Stand Next to Your Fire”:
“As Ghost Rider’s quest for vengeance brings him into an explosive confrontation with S.H.I.E.L.D., Coulson and Mack must rely on an unlikely ally in their time of desperate need; and Daisy reunites with a familiar face to stop the Watchdogs.”
Continuing plot points:
- Coulson is not Director anymore; he and Mack have a “buddy cop” routine going
- Who is the new Director as a person? Where do his loyalties lie? Is he a puppet (with Coulson more or less in control behind-the-scenes, as with him and Talbot last season)? Is he another Nick Fury? Is he working for someone else?
- Daisy off on her own; the team is trying to bring her in
- May training new recruits—including Inhumans?
- Life-Model Decoys—what do they mean for S.H.I.E.L.D.?
- Who is Robbie Reyes?
- The aftermath of the Sokovia Accords/Superhuman Civil War
- Magic and the MCU
What I am looking for tonight:
- So May died and came back to life. That can’t be glossed over.
- I think we will get to see Eli Morrow (the serial killer whose spirit inhabits Robbie Reyes in the comics), and that would suggest that we will learn a little more about how Robbie got his powers. It can't be exactly the same as the comics, considering that Eli is still alive.
- However, the majority of that is going to be saved for episode 6 according to the recently-released synopsis for that episode
- Ghost Rider is going to face off against Coulson and Lola, and I really hope this will be an awesome sequence
- If Lola is ever going to fly again, this would be the time to do it…
- Ghost Rider will be placed in a S.H.I.E.L.D. Containment Pod, and I’m pretty sure the thing’s going to straight-up melt
- I am very curious who Daisy’s going to team up with to stop the Watchdogs. They are hinting that she will meet Simmons again, but I think that’s a red herring.
What would be awesome but probably won’t happen:
If I have to guess what “familiar face” is going to team up with Daisy to stop the Watchdogs, I would have to guess either Deathlok, James (“Hellfire”), or Joey. I think one of the Inhumans is the more likely candidate, but a Deathlok sighting would be really awesome.
Now, what would be super awesome is if the “familiar face” is none other than Steve Rogers, sporting a new uniform as either Nomad or the Captain, and carrying a new vibranium shield courtesy of his good friend Black Panther!
So what are you looking for in tonight’s episode? What is there that you really want to see but may not see at all?
If you want to get an email whenever I publish a new article, go to the top of the page and enter your email address in the box labeled “Subscribe to Mostly MCU Reviews” and click “Submit.”