|Image Courtesy www.screenrant.com|
After a… less-than-impressive IMAX run earlier this month, Marvel’s Inhumans will finally arrive on ABC tonight at 8:00 PM ET, as the first two episodes (the same ones cut for the “movie”) make their small-screen premiere. After seeing this earlier this month in theaters (or, more likely, not seeing it in theaters!), what are we expecting tonight?
Note that a lot of this will be adapted from my Expectations for the “movie.” You have been warned.
Connections to the MCU:
The biggest connections to the MCU in general, and Marvel TV specifically, are on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which has been exploring the concept of Inhumans almost since the series began. At the end of its second season, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. unleashed Terrigen into the environment, causing a massive expansion of the number of transformed Inhumans around the world. At least one of these “Nuhumans” (to use the comic book term) is confirmed to appear in the series.
A second potential connection (also with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) is with that show’s season 4 finale, which saw the cast (or at least Coulson) go to space in what was recently “confirmed” to be a S.H.I.E.L.D. vessel. Given that Attilan is on the Moon, it is possible (albeit unlikely) that the Inhumans could interact with Coulson and the crew.
After a military coup, the Inhuman Royal Family escape to Hawaii where they must save themselves and the world
Expected plot points:
- The Inhuman Royal Family interacting with the larger universe
- A post-Sokovia Accords Earth dealing with a complete advanced civilization of superhumans
- The palace intrigue of Maximus’ attempt to take over Attilan
- The dynamic between Earth’s Inhumans and the Royal Family
What I am looking in these episodes:
- Introductions to all the members of the Royal Family (check)
- Set up for the conflict throughout the series (check)
- Tense interactions between the Royal Family and both the new Inhumans and the U.S. government (sort-of)
- Some awesome special effects, particularly for the heroes’ powers (it does have that, though not quite enough for IMAX)
- Hopefully all of the effects will look better on a TV screen than they did on IMAX—Wow, I hope I never have to use that sentence again!
- Something of a cliffhanger ending that will bring viewers back, but enough resolution to leave viewers satisfied (check on the first; not really on the second)
- New: I hope that the new footage they saved for the TV premiere will flesh out Triton a little more (maybe salvage his acting?) and give us some better dynamics between Black Bolt and Maximus. I think that is the relationship that needs the most additional work.
What would be awesome but probably won’t happen:
At least one character from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. appears in the “movie” with a minor role. Perhaps Joey shows up as a “Nuhuman” sent to act as liaison to the Royal Family. (nope)
New one: It would be awesome if after it appears on TV screens commentators and reviewers could stop decreeing the early termination of Inhumans and ignoble decline of Marvel TV. Mkay?
So what are you looking for in tonight’s pilot episodes? What is there that you really want to see but may not see at all?
If you want to get an email whenever I publish a new article, go to the top of the page and enter your email address in the box labeled “Subscribe to Mostly MCU Reviews” and click “Submit.”