Saturday, November 21, 2015

Weekly MCU Review for 11/21



Another week, and more MCU news!  Jessica Jones debuted yesterday, and we got a ton of DC news, too.  Put some ketchup on your eggs, and catch-up on your Marvel news!


Mostly MCU Reviews

My articles from the week

Wow.  It wasn’t until I was putting this together that I realized I had only published 3 articles this week.  However, going forward that will increase slightly, what with Jessica Jones reviews on their way over the next few months.  But that’s not starting until next week.

First up for this week, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 3, episode 8, “Many Heads, One Tale” expectations and review.  What did you think of that major twist at the end?

Also, expectations for Jessica Jones season 1.  Have you started watching it yet?  I’m not watching it as fast as I did with Daredevil season 1, so I will publish 2 non-spoiler reviews this week:  first half (episodes 1-6, probably tomorrow) and second half (episodes 7-13, probably Wednesday).  I’ll also publish my review of episode 1, “A.K.A. Ladies Night,” on Monday.

MCU News

Links to news articles and blog posts about the MCU

Here is an interview with Paul Bettany where he talks about Vision’s role in Captain America: Civil War.

Production on Doctor Strange has shifted from Nepal to England.  This movie is less than a year away!

For those who want to look ahead beyond the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. midseason finale (which will be December 8 due to them taking this Tuesday off for Thanksgiving), you can look forward to Agent Carter season 2 debuting on January 5 with a 2-part premiere, and then Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. returning on March 8.

Huh.  You know that major retcon shocker twist from this week’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?  It actually has precedence in the comics thanks to the recent S.H.I.E.L.D. comic series that started in 2010.  Cool!

So Jessica Jones was released on Netflix yesterday.  Here’s a spoiler-free review of the first episode from Comicbook.com.  I’ll have a spoiler-free review up as soon as I finish the series, either today or tomorrow.  If you’ve started watching it, what do you think?  Just be sure to avoid spoilers!

Here’s an interview with David Tennant where he talks about the Purple Man.

This was mentioned quite a while ago, but was said again with Jessica Jones being released yesterday:  Carol Danvers was in the original script back when it was at ABC, but was replaced with Trish Walker for Netflix because Marvel has bigger plans for Captain Marvel.  I still kind of hope that they cross paths at some point, but so far I’m liking what I’ve seen from Trish Walker.

Of course David Tennant would like to see his Kilgrave face off against the Avengers.  However, do you think it will happen?  Considering that the Avengers are 2-for-2 in mind-control-in-movies, I’d say there’s a good chance of it happening in the next one, but that there’s also a good chance that we don’t want to see more of it.  If we’re going to have Kilgrave face off against a super team, I think the Defenders or Secret Warriors might be more likely for right now.  Kilgrave is a big enough threat that a group could be necessary to fight him, but maybe not quite big enough to call in the Avengers just yet.

Finally, after a month or two of rumors flying around, Joe Quesada has come out and said that the Iron Fist series is “definitely” still happening.  Can we stop with the rumors now?  So what actor do we want to cast as Danny Rand?

Have you seen this fan-made Miles Morales Spider-Man video?  The production and acting is obviously not Hollywood quality, but it’s definitely an interesting concept.  My biggest problem with it conceptually was Miles’ age—in the comics he’s even younger than Peter Parker was when he started, and that really informed the character.  But I would definitely love to see Marvel play around with Miles Morales as the successor to Peter Parker in the MCU at some point, say in Phase 5.  I'm actually thinking about writing up how I could see Miles Morales appear in the MCU for Tuesday or Wednesday since we don't have Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to look forward to this week.

News from Around Geekdom

Anything not related to the MCU that I find interesting

Mockingbird is getting her own comic book series.  Makes sense for them to push the character considering that Mockingbird is also going to be getting her own TV series in Marvel’s Most Wanted.  I wonder if the two series will borrow from each other at all.

So… Channing Tatum’s Gambit movie is still happening.  Anyone else surprised?  It’s being pushed back to 2017, though, since it won’t be able to enter production until the spring.

It’s not all bad news for FOX, though, as another X-Men movie is going to be entering production as soon as next year for a 2018 release.

There is a new rumor suggesting that Chris Pine will be playing both the modern Steve Trevor and his grandfather during World War I.  Additionally, Saïd Taghmaoui may be playing a DC superhero, but which hero is unclear.

Here is our first look as Gal Gadot in Wonder Woman.

We are getting some more information about Justice League Dark:  Ben Mendelsohn is being sought for the villain, and Ron Perlman and Colin Farrell are reportedly up for the roles of Swamp Thing and John Constantine, respectively.  Are you looking forward to this movie?

Here is Ezra Miller’s explanation of how his Flash will be different from Grant Gustin’s.  Are you pleased with WB’s decision to have 2 different actors for TV and film?

It’s amazing how current events can affect TV.  Following the Paris ISIS attack last Friday, CBS changed its Supergirl schedule and NBC pulled its scheduled NCIS: Los Angeles episode because they dealt with terrorist bombings and ISIS respectively.

So while I was waiting for Jessica Jones I decided to indulge my DC-curiosity by watching Arrow seasons 1 and 2.  It’s a bit surreal watching it from the beginning when I know a lot of what eventually happens, like Roy Harper leaving the team in season 3.  However, he will be back in season 4, which seems kind of obvious to me; I mean, he’s pretty much a discount Dick Grayson (considering how Batman-heaving this series is)—he’s in Bludhaven, even!—so of course he goes off to do his own vigilante thing but eventually comes back to team up with the mentor when necessary.

Legends of Tomorrow is reportedly going to premiere on January 21, a Thursday, spreading the 3 shows out onto 3 nights.  Odd; for some reason I thought that Legends of Tomorrow was supposed to play during the other 2 shows’ hiatus.

Wow. A Star Wars fan built a working holochess board.  That is impressive!

Peter Jackson blames the Hobbit trilogy’s failure on a matter of timing:  He came into the game very late.  While that makes sense, I would blame it more on the fact that he deviated from the book in ludicrous and nonsensical ways, driving away a lot of fans such as my family.

If you want to get an email whenever I publish a new article, go to the top of the page and enter your email address in the box labeled “Subscribe to Mostly MCU Reviews” and click “Submit.”

No comments:

Post a Comment