Saturday, April 1, 2017

Weekly MCU Review for April 1 (April Fools' Day)



Another week, and more MCU news!  Sony is still moving forward with their Venom and Black Cat/Silver Sable movies (and that's not an April Fools' joke).  But on the bright side, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. returns this Tuesday!  Put some ketchup on your eggs, and catch-up on your Marvel news!


Mostly MCU Reviews

My articles from the week

So to start off with, here are my thoughts on Sony’s insistence on trying to make Spider-Man spinoffs outside the MCU.  I honestly thought that they had figured out they couldn’t do it back when they made the Marvel deal, but I guess I had a little too much faith in their intelligence!

Then here is the first part of my in-depth Iron Fist review, focusing on Danny himself.

MCU News

Links to news articles and blog posts about the MCU

So it turns out that the Sony/Marvel deal has an exit clause after the Spider-Man sequel in 2019.  While from a business standpoint it makes sense for that to be there, it also makes sense from a business standpoint for Sony to re-up the deal at that point.  And if the Venom movie (which is evidently outside the MCU) performs as badly without the shared universe as I fully expect it to, that would be all the more reason for Sony to stick with the MCU.

In cheerful Spider-Man news, there’s a new trailer out for Spider-Man: Homecoming, and it turns out that Pepper Potts’ story will continue in that movie.

Also, Spider-Man: Homecoming will feature Damage Control as a Tony Stark-led company that cleans up damage from superhero fights.  I wonder if they'll use this to set up that in-development Damage Control series.

Letitia Wright is playing Shuri (T’Challa’s sister) in Black Panther.  Also, Ross and Klaue are going to be returning.

So it sounds like Jeremy Renner’s Hawkeye will be in Ant-Man and the Wasp.

News from Around Geekdom

Anything not related to the MCU that I find interesting

Venom doesn’t actually have a director yet.  And they are planning to start filming this fall.

And the Black Cat/Silver Sable movie is also supposed to start filming this fall.  I’m getting tired of asking if Sony has lost their minds, so instead I will ask:  “Is someone at Sony completely insane???”

Here is the first Justice League trailer.  It looks pretty good!

So apparently Warner Bros. has a Batgirl movie coming, and Joss Whedon will write, direct, and produce.  I’m glad we didn’t break him, but I thought he wanted his next project to be creating a universe instead of playing in someone else’s sandbox.

If you want to get an email whenever I publish a new article, go to the top of the page and enter your email address in the box labeled “Subscribe to Mostly MCU Reviews” and click “Submit.”

No comments:

Post a Comment