|Image Courtesy www.ign.com|
Marvel and Netflix look to continue their hot streak tomorrow when Iron Fist becomes available for streaming (and offline viewing) on Netflix. What do we expect from this series?
What has happened so far in the Marvel/Netflix corner of the MCU?
If you want the detailed answer, check out the Iron Fist TL;DW . The short answer: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and the Punisher are doing their thing in Hell’s Kitchen, while Luke Cage is sitting on his hands in a Georgia prison waiting for the rest of the team to (inevitably) get him out because they need their big guy to face whatever’s coming in The Defenders. Claire Temple just got burned (figuratively) when she was attacked during Luke Cage, so she want to learn to protect herself at Colleen Wing’s dojo. And Misty Knight is still a member of the Harlem PD (with the use of both arms).
Danny Rand returns to New York City, after being presumed dead for 15 years, to reclaim his family company. When a threat emerges, Rand must choose between his family's legacy and his duties as the Iron Fist.
Expected Major Plot Points:
- Who is Danny Rand? What is the Iron Fist?
- What is K’un-L’un and how is it connected to the rest of the world?
- Who is Madam Gao really? What is her interest in New York City?
- Iron Fist is going to set up The Defenders; how?
What I am looking for this season:
- Danny Rand will be the focus of the season: who he is as a person and how he reconciles his identity with the Iron Fist
- I expect their use of the Iron Fist power to be judicious; they won’t whip it out in every single episode but will save it for big moments
- Danny won’t wear the costume more than once or twice, either as an homage (a la Luke Cage and Jessica Jones) or as a final episode reveal (a la Daredevil season 1 and Punisher in Daredevil season 2)
- I expect the heroes (Danny and Colleen) to be very well developed by the end of the season since they are what’s important to the Marvel/Netflix universe
- I expect Claire, Hogarth, and Gao to have better development than the newer characters, but only based on their previous appearances
- By the end of the season we will have some idea of how the four Defenders (and their “plus-1s”) will be brought together later this year for The Defenders
What would be awesome but probably won’t happen:
Surprise cameo from Misty Knight to help set up either a relationship between her and Danny or a future “Daughters of the Dragon” season/story starring Misty and Colleen. Alternatively, a surprise appearance by Shang Chi.
So what are you looking for in Iron Fist season 1? What is there that you really want to see but may not see at all?
If you want to get an email whenever I publish a new article, go to the top of the page and enter your email address in the box labeled “Subscribe to Mostly MCU Reviews” and click “Submit.”