|Image Courtesy www.mcuexchange.com|
Marvel’s original Netflix hit, Daredevil, returns this week with its second season, which will be released on Netflix tomorrow, Friday, March 18. What do we expect from this season?
What happened last season?
Matt Murdock, a lawyer who lost his sight and had all his other senses enhanced by a chemical spill as a child, starts fighting organized crime in Hell’s Kitchen while wearing all black. However, his actions bring him to the attention of Wilson Fisk, the up-and-coming crime boss of Hell’s Kitchen. He and Matt (called the “Devil of Hell’s Kitchen” by the press) engage in a game of cat and mouse in which Matt defeats most of Fisk’s associates and Fisk consolidates his power. Eventually, Matt and his law partner Foggy Nelson put together enough evidence for Fisk and his remaining associates to be arrested. Fisk attempts to escape, but is stopped by Matt, who is wearing a new suit and rechristened “Daredevil” by the press.
Just when Matt thinks he is bringing order back to the city, new forces are rising in Hell’s Kitchen. Now the Man Without Fear must take on a new adversary in Frank Castle and face an old flame – Elektra Natchios.Bigger problems emerge when Frank Castle, a man looking for vengeance, is reborn as The Punisher, a man who takes justice into his own hands in Matt’s neighborhood. Meanwhile, Matt must balance his duty to his community as a lawyer and his dangerous life as the Devil of Hell’s Kitchen, facing a life-altering choice that forces him to truly understand what it means to be a hero.
Season-long plot points:
- The origin of the Frank Castle, a.k.a the Punisher
- Elektra’s back in town to wreck Matt’s life
- Foggy worrying about Matt
- Matt and Karen’s relationship
- Stick’s ongoing war with the Hand/Yakuza
What I am looking for this season:
- Hooray, Catholic guilt (and that means more of Father Lantom)
- A very intense, faithful, and compelling Punisher
- By the end of the season he’ll be wearing the iconic logo
- Elektra will be awesome—and Matt will pay the price
- The stills suggest a love triangle may be involved
- The Yakuza will be a front for the Hand, and this is going to be a massive conflict
- I expect that the Hand will be the group that forces Elektra, Daredevil, and Punisher to fight together (albeit temporarily)
- The season will end in such a way to set up a Punisher spinoff
- Some connection to Captain America: Civil War
- Probably little more than a news story about the Sokovia Accords or mention of the Sokovia incident
What would be awesome but probably won’t happen:
Wilson Fisk working behind the scenes to orchestrate the events of the season
So what are you looking for in tonight’s episode? What is there that you really want to see but may not see at all?
If you want to get an email whenever I publish a new article, go to the top of the page and enter your email address in the box labeled “Subscribe to Mostly MCU Reviews” and click “Submit.”