This weekend is the U.S. premiere of Ant-Man, the movie about Earth’s Mite-iest Hero (sorry couldn’t resist using that line again!). What do we expect from tonight's episode?
What has happened so far in the MCU?
For a full summary check out my “Ant-Man TL;DW” post from last week. Here’s the short, short version:
In the wake of Avengers: Age of Ultron, the world is starting to question the benefits of superheroes who operate without accountability. One person who is questioning heroes is Hank Pym, who used to work with S.H.I.E.L.D. as a costumed agent under the codename “Ant-Man.” Oh, and there’s a new Avengers team because 2/3 of the original team retired in one form or another at the end of Age of Ultron. The new team consists of Captain America, Black Widow, Vision, Scarlet Witch, War Machine, and Falcon.
Armed with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, con-man Scott Lang must embrace his inner-hero and help his mentor, Dr. Hank Pym, protect the secret behind his spectacular Ant-Man suit from a new generation of towering threats. Against seemingly insurmountable obstacles, Pym and Lang must plan and pull off a heist that will save the world.
Expected plot points:
- The fallout from Ultron (probably not a huge part)
- The place of a size-altering superhero in a world with super soldiers and alien thunder gods
- The theme of fatherhood
- Continuing the build-up to Captain America: Civil War—in particular setting up how Scott Lang will appear in that movie (we know he’s in it, but not how he gets there)
What I am looking for:
- A ton of humor, especially centering around “Ant-Man”
- Hints at ties to the larger MCU, and especially Easter Eggs for Spider-Man
- Hints at other size-changing characters like Bill Foster and Cassie Lang
- Setting up Hope Van Dyne to become the Wasp
- Some incredible fight scenes employing Ant-Man and Yellowjacket’s size-alteration
- Some or all of the New Avengers show up in some way, shape, or form
What would be awesome but probably won’t happen:
- Hope Van Dyne suits up as the Wasp to join Scott in his final battle against Yellowjacket. And the two of them join the New Avengers together in a post-credits scene.
- A trailer for Captain America: Civil War is included in the movie in the form of a news broadcast which the characters are watching
|Image Courtesy en.wikipedia.org|
So what are you looking for in Ant- Man? What is there that you really want to see but may not see at all?
I’m planning to see the movie tomorrow after lunch to avoid the crowd (1 benefit of getting to set my own hours), so I will try to get a non-spoiler review published in the early evening—say around dinner time. Like I did with Age of Ultron, I will publish my spoiler review on Sunday afternoon.
If you want to get an email whenever I publish a new article (including the review of this movie), go to the top of the page and enter your email address in the box labeled “Subscribe to Mostly MCU Reviews” and click “Submit.”