|Image Courtesy www.comicbook.com|
Captain America: Civil War has already been out in a lot of countries for a week, but it will be released in America this weekend, with some theaters showing it tonight and the rest beginning tomorrow. Who else is excited for this one? I know I am. I’ll definitely see it at least once this weekend, and perhaps more than that! But before getting to that, what do we expect from the movie?
What has happened so far in the MCU?
Answer: A lot. For the full summary, check out my “TL;DW” article from last week. Here’s the short, short version:
The New Avengers (Captain America, Black Widow, War Machine, Falcon, Vision, and Scarlet Witch) are fighting together to keep the world safe. At the same time, Captain America is trying to track down his former friend Bucky Barnes, who was captured and brainwashed by Hydra but has since escaped from them. Meanwhile, the nations of the world have reacted to the tragedy of Sokovia by seeking to place the Avengers under some form of accountability, spearheaded by U.S. Secretary of State Thunderbolt Ross.
“Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War finds Steve Rogers leading the newly formed team of Avengers in their continued efforts to safeguard humanity. But after another incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability, headed by a governing body to oversee and direct the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers, resulting in two camps—one led by Steve Rogers and his desire for the Avengers to remain free to defend humanity without government interference, and the other following Tony Stark’s surprising decision to support government oversight and accountability.”
Expected plot points:
- Setting the tone for Phase 3 of the MCU
- The Sokovia Accords and their effect on the Avengers and other heroes
- Collateral damage from super-powered battles
- Friend vs. friend conflict
- Introducing the new heroes
- Further developing characters like Vision and Scarlet Witch
What I am looking for:
- Brief explanations of Black Panther’s and Spider-Man’s back stories—at least enough for us to understand where they are coming from
- A major focus on Captain America’s story and his friendships with both Iron Man and the Winter Soldier
- The conflict between security and freedom will not have an easy solution and will not be concluded in this movie
- The Avengers-vs.-Avengers fight sequences will be absolutely amazing
- A clear understanding of how the characters’ stories will progress following this movie
- I don’t really want to see this, but I won’t be surprised if someone dies. Not sure who it could be, but there are a lot of people it can’t be.
- Baron Zemo may not be a major part of this movie, but I’m expecting him to make it through the movie and become a bigger threat down the line
- I'm really hoping for at least a throwaway line or two that we can infer to be a reference to the TV events (something about rogue enhanceds running around without any accountability)
What would be awesome but probably won’t happen:
The Secret Warriors appear in an after-credits scene.
So what are you looking for in Civil War? What is there that you really want to see but may not see at all? You can expect to see a non-spoiler review sometime this weekend (hopefully tomorrow I'll get to see it), followed by a spoiler review on Sunday.
If you want to get an email whenever I publish a new article, go to the top of the page and enter your email address in the box labeled “Subscribe to Mostly MCU Reviews” and click “Submit.”