Saturday, July 18, 2015

The Weekly MCU Review for July 18



Another week, and more MCU news!  Comic-Con is over, Ant-Man just came out, and so much more.  Put some ketchup on your eggs, and catch-up (*ducks*) on your Marvel news!


Mostly MCU Reviews

My articles from the week

First up, ScreenRant published an article entitled “15 Avengers Who Will Never Be Featured In Marvel Movies.”  Here and here is my two-part response.

Now that I’ve finished reviewing Daredevil season 1, here is what I’m looking for in season 2.  What do you want to see from Daredevil season 2?

Here are my expectations from Comic-Con, and here is my recap.  What did you take from Comic-Con?

This is the last article in my series leading up to Ant-Man:  a list of characters who used Pym Particles in the comics.  Did you find this helpful?

On that note, here are my Ant-Man expectations, and here is my non-spoiler review of Ant-Man.  The spoiler review will be coming shortly.  Have you seen it yet?

Finally, my reviews of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 1 episode 15, “Yes Men,” and episode 16, “End of the Beginning.”  What was your favorite part from these two episodes?  Sif?  The Winter Soldier build-up?

MCU News

Links to news articles and blog posts about the MCU

Well, we didn’t get a ton of Marvel news out of Comic-Con, but we did get a whole lot of this.  Awesome.  In case you missed any of it, here is a compilation video of all of them.  And then there’s this one.  Which is your favorite?

According to Joss Whedon, we shouldn’t expect a Director’s Cut of Avengers: Age of Ultron.


So there’s a movie that came out this weekend.  Here’s a rundown of everything connected with it:


  • Peyton Reed talking about his experience coming into the picture so late in the game
  • Evangeline Lilly talking about her character and her Marvel future (hint if you haven't seen the movie yet:  it's bright)
  • Well, huh (*shudders*)
  • What do you think of Catherine Zeta-Jones to play Janet van Dyne in the Ant-Man sequel?  Michael Douglas is a fan.  But then, he’s married to her!
  • An interview with Scott Lang’s crew about Marvel and comedy
  • An interview with Corey Stoll about playing Darren Cross
  • Spoiler will be in a Phase 3 movie


Spider-Man and the Punisher have officially met.  Do you want to see them team up for Marvel after shooting a non-Marvel movie together?

Here are a couple of pics of RDJ taking a break from shooting Captain America: Civil War and looking a little worse for wear.  I’m not exactly surprised; he isn’t shooting Captain America and Iron Man:  BFFs after all!

Tilda Swinton has confirmed that she is going to be playing the Ancient One in Doctor Strange (about time, considering that they’re already filming!).  What do you think of the casting?  Considering that she’s practically from another dimension already, I think it’s almost a perfect casting!

Marvel and Sony are reportedly in talks with writers for the Spider-Man reboot.

No surprise here:  Jaimie Alexander will be back as Sif for Thor: Ragnarok.

Emmy nominations are in.  Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Daredevil, Constantine, Gotham, and The Flash all were nominated.  Which do you think should win?

Here are some more Jessica Jones photos, this time official ones!  I am seriously pump for this show!  Are they going to announce a release date any time soon?

Jeph Loeb was asked about crossover potential for Daredevil and Jessica Jones.  Here’s what he said.  To me it seems inevitable that they’re going to meet, even if Matt doesn’t show up in Jessica Jones season 1.

Talk of Wesley Snipes returning as Blade is back again.  What do you think of this rumor?

I don’t normally include these types of articles in the Weekly MCU Review, but I think this one is deserving:  Comicbook.com’s “Five Ways Blade Could Fit Into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.”  I think any one of these storylines would be interesting.  However, that’s not why I’m including it.  I’m including it because I don’t think they are answering the question at all.  For me the question isn’t “how can Marvel use Blade?” but rather “how can Marvel work in Blade?”  If Wesley Snipes returns to the role, does that bring the Blade trilogy into the MCU?  And if it does, how will it fit in with the existing continuity?

Here is an article from MCUExchange explaining who Lash (announced for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 3) is.  Is this helpful?

News from Around Geekdom

Anything not related to the MCU that I find interesting

Looking forward to seeing Spidey and Deadpool team up post-Secret Wars?

Does this mean that Fant4stic is in trouble?

What do you think of this reveal of Doom’s origin in Fant4stic?

Speaking of Victor Domashev, do you want to see him face off against the MCU Avengers?  Personally, I’d rather wait and see him face off against the Fantastic Four before talking about him facing the Avengers.  I mean, if he’s a terrible villain, he’s not going to beat up on Thor; he’s going to experience firsthand what happens to a toad when it’s struck by lightning!

Fant4stic doesn’t have a post-credits scene.  So you don’t have to stay after the credits if you’re going.

We now know who the Four Horsemen will be in X-Men: Apocalypse.  Are you excited for this one?

Hugh Jackman teased at Comic-Con that Wolverine (his third solo movie) will be “Old Man Logan.”  Are you excited to see it?  How do you think Fox will handle it, seeing how they don’t own a lot of the characters who appear in the story arc (Hawkeye, Hulk, She-Hulk, Red Skull…)?  It should be easy enough for them to switch out some of the characters:  Gambit instead of Hawkeye, Deadpool instead of Hulk (now that would be twisted!), Magneto instead of Red Skull, etc.

I… I don’t even… Would you have wanted to see this???  I would have preferred this.

I assume everyone’s seen the SDCC2015 Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice trailer.  What did you think of it?  I admit, I was not planning on seeing the movie (1 massive shared universe is enough for me!), but I’m definitely starting to come around on it.

Well BvS has at least one high-profile critic thanks to that trailer.  Grant Morrison is concerned about the portrayal of Wonder Woman as primarily a warrior.  Personally, I’m going to wait until it’s out in theaters before jumping to any conclusions about its portrayal of any of the characters.

It’s official:  the Green Lantern reboot has been titled Green Lantern Corps.  Which Corps members would you like to see?

Here is Ezra Miller’s take on The Flash.  Personally, I think they need to have both Flashes in the movie and have some sort of parallel universes story.  What do you think?

Gotham season 2 is going to see the “rise of the villains.”  Did you watch season 1?

Mr. Terrific is coming to Arrow season 4.  Would you like to see Matt Ryan’s John Constantine join them?

DC is going to go back to publishing its Milestone Comics.  I remember enjoying the Static Shock series back in the day.  Are you excited to see more from this pocket of the DC universe?

Here are some Star Wars rumors centering around Han Solo.  What do you think?

Well, I’m still not sure if Warcraft is feasible as a movie (I mean, when do video game-based movies ever work out?), but at least the concept posters from Comic-Con look good.  Are you going to see this when it comes out?

Are you excited for Joss Whedon’s newest project?  It’s a Dark Horse Comics miniseries called Twist, focusing on a female Victorian-era Batman!

A live-action prequel to Aladdin focusing on the Genie.  Huh.  I’m not sure what I think just yet, but it could be cool.

If you want to get an email whenever I publish a new article, go to the top of the page and enter your email address in the box labeled “Subscribe to Mostly MCU Reviews” and click “Submit.”

No comments:

Post a Comment